Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Antique Mahogany Table Makeover

Mahogany Table Before

We've done plenty of tables since we started restoring furniture, but this by far was one of the most unique antique tables. This was a lovely "sewing table" with fluted edges on the top shelf and beading on the edge of the lower shelf. Unfortunately its structure was quite wobbly, because the points of
Mahogany Table After
attachment were very delicate and the legs were spindly and thin, which affected the overall stability. The only thing we could do to shore then up was add a few pin nails on the back side of the legs at the attachment point between the two shelves.

This table was in great overall condition, but the row of beading on the bottom shelf had beads missing, which needed to be replaced. I searched online for the right size replacement beads and discovered a few things. The first, beads such as the ones on this table are difficult to find, plus I was not able to get furniture beads in a dark
enough color which would match the mahogany color of the table. Second, the cost of the un-matching beads was inexpensive overall, but the shipping was three times the cost of the item, which I refused to spend money on, so I searched for them from completely different place and found them on Etsy, where I located wooden beads designed for jewelry-making. I contacted the shop owner and she assured me that the 4mm beads would work and that they were available in various dark colors, so I ordered the beads in dark wood. Problem solved!

A few days later, the beads arrived with two small pieces of candy as a "thank you." The beads not only fit, but were the perfect color! Once I got the beads secured with strong glue (individually placed) I allowed the glue to dry for 24 hours then stained the table and finished it with two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane. It turned out great and accepted the new stain perfectly. I was so happy to have found something for my furniture project that I wouldn't have ordinarily considered.

This experience goes to show you that when you remained determined to find a solution to a problem, you can be sure to find one if you don't give up and open your mind to other options than the obvious. Think outside of the box and those solutions come to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment