Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Special Dresser Gets A Makeover

Dresser Before
Dresser After
This dresser belonged to my friend's mother who passed away in 2008. My friend had to put it in a storage unit after her brother passed away last October. She needed to empty the storage unit and asked if I was interested in this dresser. "Of course!" I told her. I liked the retro design and style of this piece, so I brought it home and began sanding it with the intention of staining it a shade or two darker.

Unfortunately, the wood wouldn't accept the stain and the piece got severely discolored. Before adding more stain and making it worse, I quit while I was ahead and made the executive decision to paint it instead. As much as I prefer staining to paint, at times it's the best solution, as it proved to be with this dresser. I chose semi-gloss white and after priming, I got busy painting it bright white. It was a good fit because it gave this old 1950's style dresser a fresh, clean and brand new appearance. I decided to have fun with it and add colorful polka dot knobs. The transformation was complete and the dresser was now a usable, yet smaller scale piece of furniture that functions well.

Dresser After


No comments:

Post a Comment