Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mosaic Table

Table Before No Top
Table After Mosiac
This table belonged to a friend who had passed away. It came to
me without a top. I liked the corner detail, which was hidden. My idea was to turn this little neglected gem into a work of art and as I looked at it, an idea came to mind.

First I assessed it. There wasn't much wood surface showing, so why not paint? I chose to paint it totally black. Next it needed a new top. The curved edges lent themselves to a different style. Something else other than wood would set this table off. Then it came to me. Mosaic. It was perfect! I knew I wanted it to have a bit of "bling," so I used mirror with a cobalt blue border.
Table Before

Table Before
When I got into the center area, I knew I wanted a design, and thanks to
my granddaughter, I came up with a peace sign. She was my inspiration for the peace sign because she loves them. Reminiscent of the 1960's, I thought it was also the perfect solution to my design. But that was not enough. It needed more, so I decided to paint the curved designs in the corners to bring out the flowers and make them match the colors of the glass mosaic I chose. The table was finally how I had envisioned it to be. The table had taken on a whole new look...from neglected and broken to a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment