Thursday, August 18, 2016

1940's Hutch Makeover

Hutch Before
Hutch After
This 1940's hutch caught by eye at a local antique shop here in Marine City. I fell in love with the great lines and gentle curves of this unique piece of furniture. A plain glass door was functional enough, but I could envision something much more suited to this beauty, so I added a leaded glass panel with bevels and glue chip glass to enhance the hutch adding classic, timeless styling.

With relish, I peeled off hideously sticky contact paper circa 1965 from the interior and painted the shelves with serenity blue chalk paint to give it a modern flair and fresh appeal to today's contemporary styles. I replaced the broken back with a section of bead board, which added vertical lines and created additional texture. It looked great! The exterior was in overall terrific shape, but needed refinishing, no easy task. Section by section, I carefully detailed
and stripped, using my special set of tools to remove many years of old finish which hid the beautiful cherry beneath.


Hutch Interior
Hutch Drawer
Once all the old finish had been removed, the bare wood was absolutely gorgeous! I chose a red oak stain, which brought out the texture and movement of the wood grain. Combined with the lightly painted interior shelves, this vintage cabinet took on a new, sophisticated appearance, enhanced by the leaded glass door and the antique glass knobs for the door, drawer and two lower cabinets, which provide additional storage for dishes and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment