Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Antique Jewelry Box

Jewelry Box Before
Jewelry Box After
This mahogany jewelry box had been in this man's family for many years as it had belonged to his grandfather. It had seen some use and it looked like someone tried to repair it, but wasn't very successful. With masking tape on top, this lovely old piece crying out to be refinished.

This wasn't my typical refinishing job, but I'm always up to a challenge, so I gave it my best attention. I actually enjoyed this "table top" restoration, which was a refreshingly small job compared to some of the monster jobs I've done in the past years. The years had taken their toll on this box as it had darkened with oxidation and wear.


Jewelry Box Opened Before
Jewelry Box Opened After
My first priority was to disassemble it. Once separated, I tackled
each piece, individually removing the old finish and many years of grime, which exposed the incredible detail of this hand carved piece.

I didn't know its origin, but I suspect it was made in Europe, based on the detail of the carving. I had done a rocking chair with detailed carving and this box reminded me of that chair. You can see the chair here by clicking on this link: http://finalefurniture.blogspot.com/2012/06/antique-secretary-desk-german-rocking.html
Jewelry Box Front Before

Jewelry Box Front Before
After I had stripped all the sections, I reassembled them, firmly securing the sides and placing the top back with precision before applying stain and two coats of polyurethane. The jewelry box looked like it was just carved so many years ago, transforming this once worn piece into an item of beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, very informative

    If you want to buy Vintage Jewelry online then do visit Boylerpf.
    They have unique collection of antique and vintage jewelley on a single platform with all sorts of buying option and vast price range, Boylerpf is fit for all of your occasion need and fit for your mood. Check Once.

    Great blog, very informative

    If you want to buy Vintage Jewelry online then do visit Boylerpf.
    They have unique collection of antique and vintage jewelley on a single platform with all sorts of buying option and vast price range, Boylerpf is fit for all of your occasion need and fit for your mood. Check Once.









    ReplyDelete