Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My Favorite Dresser

Dresser Before
Dresser After
This is probably my favorite dresser so far that I've done. It was a sad, old dresser which I found in the basement of an estate sale in Eastpointe. It was buried under old LPs, grade school photos, contact paper and various cans of bug spray. I spotted this piece and knew I had to have it. It had great potential but boy, was it a mess!

After the young man helped me load the dresser into the van, I got it home and assessed it. The drawers were filled with memories of a man who'd gone to a school in Detroit; report cards, school photos, a pink pearl eraser, pencils, torn photographs of kids in baseball uniforms and old utility bills from 1970. This wasn't just a dresser. It had been a part of someone's life. This dresser was just crying out, make me beautiful!
Dresser Top Before
Dresser Top After

I wanted to paint the dresser (as opposed to staining it) because the wood, while sturdy and in good shape, was a bit rough. There was
a lot of rough grainy surface, so painting it was the best choice. I decided on bright white which allowed me to play with the details, such as knobs and accent colors. I found these adorable gray and white chevron knobs online. They were perfect for this dresser! I knew this was what it was missing, some personality. After I had finished painting the dresser, I screwed in the knobs and painted the matching yellow and gray accent at the top of the dresser, tying the colors, white, yellow and gray together. But it still wasn't done.
Chevron knob

Drawer liner
I didn't care much for the drawer interiors, so I painted them too. I
don't usually bother painting the interior of dressers, but this one really needed it. And it proved to be the right choice. Lastly, I had to have a liner to complete the look I was going for and found it at Joann's. It was a gray and white chevron, which matched the knobs perfectly! Finally my little gem was complete and the results speak for themselves, don't you think?

Here's a dresser that went from old and ugly to pretty and perfect: http://finalefurniture.blogspot.com/2015/04/old-painted-dresser-revival.html

No comments:

Post a Comment